How this role will make an impact:
- As the Sr. Buyer you and your team will be responsible for setting the current and future merchandise strategy, determining assortment selection, creating pricing strategy, and identifying promotional opportunities. You will need to stay abreast of current and future market and competitor trends impacting the business to provide Sr. Leadership with recommendations on how to maintain PetSmart’s market leadership position and to sustain year over year growth. You will also provide leadership to a team of 2 Associate Buyers and 1 Assistant Buyer in the creation of plans for purchases, communications, and implementation of controls for merchandise selection to maximize sales and margin dollars.
Your goals and responsibilities will include:
- Developing and communicating business plans that maximize sales, margin dollars, margin percentage, and profitability based on current business trends to maintain PetSmart’s market leadership position.
- Negotiating product costs, terms and shipping/returns issues
- Create effective partnerships with supply chain, distribution centers, and store operations leaders
- Developing and influencing vendor relationships in order to ensure the best prices, products and shipments.
- Collaborating with other merchandising functions to determine product lifecycle, exit strategy and inventory aging standards.
- Participating in recommending, setting and approving product pricing strategies to achieve specific margin objectives and recommending appropriate markdowns.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree in Merchandising management, Economics, Business or related degree from 4-year college or university.
- 5 years of retail buying experience required. Includes experience in both high volume and high value categories
- Experience leading and mentoring a team of Associate or Assistant Buyers is essential
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams